Wednesday 26 October 2011

Scones for Stoke !!

I'm afraid the Vagina Monlogues Cake Club choice had to be something easy and quick this week as I had so little time to bake on my day off - Boo !!
We decided on Scones and spruced them up into Afternoon Tea with clotted cream and strawberry jam - rude not to !!
The recipe has been handed down from my Grandma Holden to my Mum and on to me - It never fails me and I often make up the dry mix last thing at night and then add the milk and egg when I get up the next morning and bake warm scones for breakfast - YUM !!

Scones ( sorry it's in Imperial measures )

1 lb Self raising Flour
4 oz Butter
4 oz Caster sugar
4 oz Sultanas
1 large egg made up to 1/2 pint with whole milk

Preheat oven to 180 oC

Rub the butter into the flour to make breadcrumb consistency.
Mix in sugar and sultanas ( can make up to this point the night before)
Whisk egg and milk thoroughly and add a little at a time until the mix binds together wthout being sloppy.
Put onto board and shape ( don't mess with it too much or the air will be knocked out and the scones won't be light)
Cut out scones and place on greased tray.
Brush with any remaining egg wash and sprinkle with more sugar.
Bake for 12 - 15 mins until risen and golden.

We indulged and spread them with clotted cream and strawberry jam!!

Went down a treat with Louisa, Zaraah and Emma !!

1 comment:

  1. They look scrum my. I will give them a go at the weekend

    ReplyDelete