Tuesday 31 January 2012

Coffee and Walnut Buns - yes good old Buns !!

Cupcakes seem to have taken over the world - but what happened to the good old British Bun ?
A lovely sponge small sponge cake with just a small layer of icing on top, not piles of buttercream !!
Ok, rant over .......
Sorry it's been a while since my last post but, as many of you will know if you follow me on Twitter ( @WendiPeters), I've been very busy painting my hall and landing....Hurrah it's now finished !!!
I'd had a craving for coffee and walnut cake for a few weeks - seemed to be everywhere - but the Celebrity Bake off made me get into the kitchen after a long day painting.
I decided not to make a cake but to make individual buns, easier to eat and give away ( although didn't last long enough for that !!! ).
Buns take me back to my childhood - the joy of peeling of the bun case, ( giving that to the dog - our Springer spaniel Meg loved them, although I'm sure they aren't great for a dog's digestive system ) licking or biting the icing off and sinking my teeth into the light sponge - Yum !!
Checked the cupboard and had most of the ingredients in - but was a little short on the walnut front so added choc chips aswell.

Makes approx 16 buns

Pre heat oven to 190 o C

250g soft butter
250g caster sugar
4 eggs
250g self raising flour
4 tsp strong coffee made up with 2tsp hot water then cooled
2 tblsps milk
100g chopped walnuts
50g choc chips

icing sugar
2 tsps coffee made up wth warm water

Beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Beat in eggs.
Add coffee.
Fold in flour and milk.
Mix in walnuts and choc chips.
Put into bun cases and bake for aprox 15 mins till bounce back.
Cool and make up icing - cover and sprinkle with choc chips......yum !!




Bet they don't last long - Let's hear it for the British Bun !!!!

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree re cupcakes, over sweet and tricky to eat! Love a proper bun or fairy cake. Our collie believes all paper cases are his privilege, he gets nutty if I use silicon cases and forgo the paper. Delicious blog, enjoying v much!

    ReplyDelete