Monday 19 September 2011

A Tart for Sunday Lunch!!

Had friends round for Lunch yesterday and just had to make something from my new recipe book that arrived from Amazon this week - The Boy Who Bakes . Edd Kimber was the winner of last year's Great British Bakeoff and this is his first book  - I love it - Traditional recipes but also some that are a little different and very exciting. For lunch I decided on a traditional custard tart. Although the recipe suggested cherries as a filling, I opted for blueberries ( with apologies to Edd) as I had some that needed using up. It was so delicious - creamy but very light.
There wasn't even a crumb left !!!!
To have with our coffee, I made something from Edd's book that was new to me - Nanaimo Bars - a chocolate fridge cake with a custard icing centre. It hails from Canada and was just beautiful - very rich though and a small piece was enough - till our 2nd cup of coffee!!
Having made the custard tart I had six egg whites to use up, so I decided to make some individual meringues - well, it would have been rude not to!!
So, as they were made, we had to have peach melba pavlovas for pudding tonight!!
  
 
   

1 comment:

  1. Mmm I remember making Nanaimo bars with the Daring Bakers, I hadn't heard of them at the time but I keep seeing them now. Eric Lanlard's new book has some too - they're very sweet aren't they?

    ReplyDelete