Friday 16 December 2011

Marizipan Mince Pies - IT'S CHRISTMAS !!!!!

I love a mince pie - but if there's one thing I love more it's marzipan. So I decided to combine the two.
I made a batch of sweet pastry from Edd Kimber's book ( can't recommend it enough ) and put it in the fridge to chill.
Greased the baking tin and, after 20 minutes in the fridge, rolled out the pastry and cut the circles to place in the tin.
I haven't had time to make my own mincemeat but used a good quality one from Waitrose and spooned a teaspoonful into each pie.
Then I rolled out some brandy marzipan quite thin - 2mm- and cut circles just a bit smaller than the size of the pie and placed them in each one.
Finally I cut out the pie lids and topped the mince pies.
Cut 2 slits in the top of each and glazed with an egg/milk wask and sprinkled liberally with sugar.
Placed in a moderate oven 180 o C for 5 - 20 mins until golden and the pastry is cooked through.
I served them warm with coffee to my girlfriends - Yummy !!


The marzipan really works and adds a welcome change to the ordinary mince pie - Merry Christmas !!

1 comment: